5. Don't Overdo It - Don't take on more than you can handle. It's easy to get caught up in all of the festivities and over-commit. Make sure you know your limits and remember it's okay to say no thank you, I already have plans.
4. Plan Ahead - Making a list and checking it twice can make all the difference in making your season bright. Knowing what needs to be done and having a game plan will help you stay focused on what's really important.
3. Go with the Flow - Planning is all fine and dandy, when those plans leave room for the unexpected. It's important to understand you cannot control everything and everyone. Sometimes, you need to take a deep breath and be flexible.
2. Take Care of Yourself - Remember to stay hydrated, eat properly, and get a good night's sleep. Even though you are busy, respect your mind and body. This will give you the energy and clear thoughts needed to carry you through the season.
1. Remember to be Grateful - It's easy to get caught up with to do lists, and the busyness of the season, but remember why you are doing it and whom you are doing it for. It's not about how much you do or buy, it's about the people you spend your time with.
And above all, remember that your decision to not drink your way through the holidays is a huge gift to yourself and those around you. Staying Sober Through the Holidays is our new book, and can be your gift to those you love.